The field of Community Health is growing and becoming more prominent as a field of study, research, and employment.
Community Health broadens the field of Public Health in a variety of ways. RWU already has a robust Undergraduate Public Health program rooted in policy and the sciences with a concentration in Community and Health Equity. However, Community Health as the field of study in the BS in Healthy Communities program focuses on the critical social and economic systems that health intersects with and its impact on communities through policy and practice. Such intersections include, but are not limited to:
- Public safety
- Employment and Economics.
Local, state and national public and private health institutions focused on education and policy development are aligning efforts in social and economic health reform by focusing on these critical health-related intersections. Such initiatives are being addressed as efforts to promote equity in “population health” or “whole-body health,” and many states, including Rhode Island, are working towards a “health in all policies” state-wide approach to public policy. All of these efforts align the new BS in Healthy Communities with the field of overall health in public and private sectors, making students more attractive to potential employers while providing them with a robust, community-oriented educational experience.
Examples of employment opportunities with approximate salaries for graduates with a degree in Healthy Communities include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Municipal Healthy Communities Office Director - $40,000+
- Nonprofit Executive Director - $60,000+
- Case Management Director - $35,000+
- Social Service/Nonprofit Organization Program Manager - $30,000-$45,000
- Community Outreach Coordinator (education, healthcare, local/state gov’t) - $35,000-$50,000
- Foundation Grants Program Officer - $40,000+
- Nonprofit/Research Institute Program Evaluator - $45,000+
- Gerontology Department Manager - $40,000-$65,000
- Nursing Home Program Manager - $40,000+
- Hospital/Clinic Unit Manager - $55,000+